CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, November 2, 2007

Life lessons from the trees


When walking to/from school, I have a few options for my route. Most of the time I just take the main roads, but occasionally I walk through the cemetery. I find myself taking the cemetery route more in the fall because the trees are so beautiful. When I was walking home through the cemetery yesterday I started having all these thoughts of how trees are like a model of how I want my life to be remembered when I'm gone. I don't know if being surrounded by tombstones just brought the subject of death to the forefront of my mind or what, but it was like a flood of thoughts all at once. I started thinking of spring when the trees are flowering and putting on leaves as birth. It's a beautiful event and the new leaves have such a delicate look to them. As the spring/summer progresses, the leaves turn a darker green color and they withstand storms, drought, whatever the world throws their way. I want my adult life to be like that. Then, just before the leaves wither and fall, they put on an awe-inspiring display. I want the end of my life to be like that - the most beautiful and meaningful part of my life. I hope God allows me to shine in the waning moments of my life.

2 comments:

Cal said...

Good metaphor. I can't wait for chill wine nights.

Brian said...

I never really thought of trees like that, but I like the comparison to death. I hope I'm remembered the same.