CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 8, 2008

Two ways an afternoon can change from good to bad real quick

Overall, my Friday has been great. I had a rather productive an efficient day at the lab, got out of going to a boring seminar, the weather is nice, etc. I finished up everything I needed to do at the lab at 2:00, with plenty of time to spare before my meeting with a professor at 4:00. I decided I'd walk home and work on my proposal some until my meeting, and that would also allow me to drive to campus for the meeting instead of walking all the way to the Poultry Science building and back home. Let's just say the walk home was more eventful than normal.

Incident #1
I was walking down Dickson St. and just passed Bank of America and had come to the intersection of University and Dickson. There was a car waiting to turn left onto University. Now for those of you who don't walk my route regularly, sometimes it's hard to tell if a person is waiting to turn left on University or if they are just waiting at the stoplight at Arkansas and Dickson. Anyway, right as I get about 1/3 of the way out on the crosswalk, this lady finds a tiny opening in traffic and decides to go for it. She turned REAL fast and had no idea a freakin pedestrian was in the crosswalk until I did a nifty little jump move to avoid her taking out my knees. She simultaneously slammed on the brakes and I missed being hit by no more than a couple of inches. Definitely the closest I've ever been to being run over by a car.

Incident #2
So incident #1 definitely got my adrenaline going. I was kinda shaking and a little freaked out that I almost got run over real hard. My trek home continues down Dickson past Qdoba and George's and into the Walton Arts Center parking lot. By this point I wasn't quite paying attention to where I was walking because of all the death scenarios running around in my head. The lack of attention led to me missing a step down from a curb in the parking lot and I totally sprained my ankle. At first I was real mad and didn't think about it, and then after being mad for about 5 seconds I realized it hurt real bad. And I still had to walk the rest of the way home. Crap. I'm sure I had this hardcore gritty look of determination on my face, but deep down I think I just wanted to sit down in the parking lot and call people to come pick me up to take me the last 1/4 mile home. I made it home writhing in pain and without any more incidents, thankfully.

Hope y'all have a good weekend!

4 comments:

cara said...

I would've paid money to see your "nifty little jump move." Hope your foot feels better.

Cal said...

Wes! A better ending to the story would have been you were so glad to be alive that you skipped your professor meeting and celebrated.

leah marie. said...

that's hilarious...i mean not really. but really.

i'm glad you're okay darlin'...

Taylorius said...

that would've been crazy if the woman came back after you sprained your ankle to try and finish you off. i bet it was hillary clinton.